View Posts
MatterHackers Forum
This forum has been set to read-only for archival purposes. Please visit our Community Forum to ask and participate in active discussions.
Multi-extruder - always prints from first extruder with single material print
by >Poorskeleton

I'm trying to get the printer to print from extruder 2 for a single colour print. I select extruder in the edit screen and save it but it always prints from extruder 1.

I've seen that this was a bug in earlier versions. Has it been fixed yet?

I'm running Matter Control 1.3.

Poorskeleton - October 10th, 2015 at 6:40a.m.

Extruding from the second extruder only is working in the latest version of MatterControl, so I recommend upgrading to that when you get a chance: http://www.mattercontrol.com/#jumpMatterControlDownloads

ryan.lutz - October 13th, 2015 at 4:59p.m.

Well I've upgraded to Matter Control 1.4 and the problem is still there.

No matter what I select the printer always prints from extruder 1. If I print a muti-material object then it all works. However Sometimes I just want to print a single colour object with the filament in extruder 2 and this seems to be impossible...

Poorskeleton - October 23rd, 2015 at 10:37a.m.

It's worked consistently for me, so I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Just for reference, here are the steps to set up extrusion from extruder 2 only:

1) Navigate to Settings & Controls -> Settings -> Printer -> Features -> Hardware and set Extruder Count to '2'.
2) Select your STL file in the Queue which will display it in 3D View.
3) Navigate to the 'Materials' pane on the right of 3D View and with the model selected (indicated by the little black arrow above it) click 'Material 2'.
4) Click 'Save' at the bottom

You should then be able to generate the correct GCode. You can navigate to Layer View and click 'Generate' to verify that the toolpath is being drawn with Extruder 2. Also, you can export the GCode to a file and verify that the GCode only refers to 'T1' (extruder 2) and not 'T0'.

If you're still unable to get it to work, please tell me what build you're on. (Help menu -> About MatterControl -> All the way to the bottom: Build 1.4.__ | Clear Cache)

ryan.lutz - October 26th, 2015 at 10:22a.m.

Extruder count 2 - check
STL File selected - check
Model selected and material changed to material 2 - check (even changed colour to show it had done it)
Save- Check

GCode generated correctly - FAIL. Tried it 3 times selecting material 1 and 2 and then selected "shared temperature" as I'm using a Cyclops head and T0 was in all the gcode files (I did save after every change).

As an aside - why can't I see material 2 if I select shared temperature?.

Build is 1.4.0.5430

Guest - October 27th, 2015 at 12:06p.m.

Incidentally - "guest" above is me. I forgot to sign in..

Poorskeleton - October 27th, 2015 at 12:07p.m.

To check it wasn't just that machine that was wonky - I also tried it on another machine. Exactly the same results. T0 in all Gcode created.

Poorskeleton - October 27th, 2015 at 12:12p.m.

Can you export and send your slice settings (Settings & Controls -> Settings -> 'Options' drop down menu -> Export) to support@matterhackers.com?

I'm running the same software build with no issues, and I'd just like to compare your settings to the ones I've got to see if anything sticks out.

ryan.lutz - October 27th, 2015 at 2:37p.m.

On its way..

Poorskeleton - October 28th, 2015 at 10:35a.m.

Thanks for sending the settings file as requested.

I must admit I overlooked your mentioning the 'Shared Temperature' setting in an earlier post, but was not completely aware of all that the function did. That is, 'Shared Temperature' is the reason for all of this confusion because the software associates both nozzle temperatures with T0 once that is enabled.

At the moment the software is designed to use T0 only when
'Shared Temperature' is enabled, so we've created a bug report to address the issue as the development team has time.

In the meantime, the workaround is to generate the GCode and manually edit T0 to T1.

ryan.lutz - October 29th, 2015 at 10:43a.m.

As a test I have unchecked the shared temperature setting and can now see both extruders on the control panel. However it still only prints from the first extruder...

To me this indicates that there must be some other setting I'm missing.

To get the Rostock to work with either setting requires that I have the temperature sensor for the second extruder "flapping in the wind" and just recording the ambient temperature. Would this cause a problem - "I'm not printing from the second extruder because it's not up to temperature"?

Poorskeleton - November 11th, 2015 at 3:10a.m.

To answer your last question first, no-- at least that would not affect the GCode to write T0 instead of T1. If a temperature sensor were not detecting the hot end reaching temperature, the heater would simply heat too far.

If you follow the steps I outlined above, you should be able to print with the second extruder only. At least, there is no bug in the software which prevents this from happening.

If you've confirmed you followed these steps correctly and are still having trouble, email the STL, settings, and GCode to support@matterhackers.com and I'll have a look.

ryan.lutz - November 11th, 2015 at 1:47p.m.

I have the same trouble with lulzbot taz 5 and dual extruder, I set the material to #2 extruder, in settings made sure supports are also on #2, and it makes a beautiful raft and supports, but the model itself doesn't extrude - the head moves x/y/z but the extruder doesn't!
Any thing else I can try? Would changing t0 to t1 fix extrusion?
thx

bauct - November 15th, 2015 at 7:22p.m.

@bauct Please email the GCode to support@matterhackers.com and we'll have a look.

ryan.lutz - November 16th, 2015 at 11:46a.m.