View Posts
MatterHackers Forum
This forum has been set to read-only for archival purposes. Please visit our Community Forum to ask and participate in active discussions.
MatterControl - Linux (BETA)
by >kevin.pope

The Linux version of MatterControl is entering beta with initial support for Ubuntu and we're looking for testers to give it a go. Download link to the .deb package:

https://mattercontrol.appspot.com/downloads/mattercontrol-linux/pre-release

Feel free to post your comments and feedback here or in github

kevin.pope [Moderator] - December 17th, 2014 at 5:18p.m.

Just installed it now, no problems with dependencies and looks just the same as the other distributions of Matter Control. I can't wait to check it out, any parts of particular concern for testing?

FYI. I'm running 64bit 14.04LTS on a HP Mini 210.

Matt

matt@me3d.com.au - December 26th, 2014 at 2:24a.m.

A couple of crashes mid print so far :( I've posted any info I have to the issues log on gihub.

A friendly warning to anyone testing this Beta. Don't select Sync to print, it causes MC to crash on my computer, and now that it's selected I can't unselect it before MC crashes. I think I'm going to have to resort to an uninstall and reinstall before we can crack on with any more testing.

Matt

matt@me3d.com.au - December 26th, 2014 at 3:48a.m.

I'm having crashes mid-print, at print end (most common), and sometimes while performing operations while not printing. I'm more than happy to provide debug info as I proceed. What I have so far (haven't caught this yet after invoking command line) is just from my mono libraries (I've also posted this to the getting started guide comments section before finding the forum).

I really like MC a LOT and am willing to assist with whatever data I can to help support the Linux port.

some info about the mono library versions:

dpkg-query -s mono-complete
Package: mono-complete
Priority: optional
Section: cli-mono
Installed-Size: 70
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Architecture: amd64
Source: mono
Version: 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1
Depends: mono-runtime (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-runtime-sgen (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), libmono-2.0-1 (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), libmono-profiler (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-utils (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-jay (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-devel (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-mcs (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-csharp-shell (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-2.0-gac (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-4.0-gac (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-2.0-service (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), mono-4.0-service (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), monodoc-base (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), monodoc-manual (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1), libmono-cil-dev (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1)

jason.tetlow@gmail.com - January 22nd, 2015 at 7:34p.m.

Hi!
I have issue. I can't set the extruder and bed temperature. When I try to enter a value, I can only enter the number 8 and 9. Movement controls and fan controls work.

I have a Taz 4, Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit

Guest - January 23rd, 2015 at 2:39p.m.

I found a way to set my temperature. Open gedit, write your temperature, copy it then paste it in mattercontrol

Guest - January 31st, 2015 at 11:43a.m.

Unhandled Exception:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.Windows.Forms.XEventQueue+PaintQueue.Dequeue () [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr handle, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunLoop (Boolean Modal, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.Form mainForm) [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.Agg.UI.WidgetForWindowsFormsAbstract.Run () [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.Agg.UI.WidgetForWindowsFormsOpenGL.Run () [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.Agg.SystemWindowCreator_WindowsForms.ShowSystemWindow (MatterHackers.Agg.UI.SystemWindow systemWindow) [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.Agg.UI.SystemWindow.ShowAsSystemWindow () [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.MatterControl.MatterControlApplication..ctor (Double width, Double height) [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.MatterControl.MatterControlApplication.Main () [0x00000] in :0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.Windows.Forms.XEventQueue+PaintQueue.Dequeue () [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr handle, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunLoop (Boolean Modal, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.Form mainForm) [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.Agg.UI.WidgetForWindowsFormsAbstract.Run () [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.Agg.UI.WidgetForWindowsFormsOpenGL.Run () [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.Agg.SystemWindowCreator_WindowsForms.ShowSystemWindow (MatterHackers.Agg.UI.SystemWindow systemWindow) [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.Agg.UI.SystemWindow.ShowAsSystemWindow () [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.MatterControl.MatterControlApplication..ctor (Double width, Double height) [0x00000] in :0
at MatterHackers.MatterControl.MatterControlApplication.Main () [0x00000] in :0

jason.tetlow@gmail.com - February 6th, 2015 at 4:15a.m.

Thank you all for the bug reports. They are very much appreciated and are all being looked into. It would be great to get a little more background on some of the behavior you all are seeing and specifically the crashes during print jobs.

@Matt I have tried reproducing the crashes you were experiencing while having Sync to Print selected and have not been able to get the same behavior happening on my machine. If you could send a stack trace of the exception that is thrown at the time of the crash it would really helpful. You can do so by running MatterControl from the terminal.

@Jason I was just curious if you had 'Print Notifications' (specifically the 'Play Sound' option) enabled when you have been experiencing crashes at the end of prints.

Gregory Diaz - February 10th, 2015 at 4:11p.m.

@Gregory I did indeed have the "Play Sound" notifications on all the time, though I don't always get an "end of print" exception. And the above exception chain was mid-print.

Any other questions that you have, or if you'd like me to run with debug flags, or share my printer configuration, I'd be more than happy to.

Regards,
Jason

jason.tetlow@gmail.com - February 12th, 2015 at 6:51p.m.

The message "Object not set to instance of Object" means that you are trying to use an object which has not been initialized. That is, you either set it to null, or you never set it to anything at all. The runtime throwing a NullReferenceException always means the same thing: you are trying to use a reference. The reference is not initialized (or it was initialized, but is no longer initialized). This points to one of the following:

Your code declared an object variable, but it did not initialize it (create an instance or 'instantiate' it)

Something which your code assumed would initialize an object, did not

Possibly, other code prematurely invalidated an object still in use.

More about....

http://net-informations.com/q/faq/null.html

Wlash

walshmagger - December 18th, 2016 at 10:54p.m.