View Posts
MatterHackers Forum
This forum has been set to read-only for archival purposes. Please visit our Community Forum to ask and participate in active discussions.
Remove Post
Help - How do I speed up prints?
by John L

I have custom built printer, liner slides being the biggest difference. My print quality is good, great in fact but how do I speed up my prints.

I know using a bigger nozzle is one way but that's not what I am looking for... or want yet.

I have taken my infill from 90 to 10
Travel from 90 to 180
Support from 60 to 120
Bridges from 20 to 40
Inner perimeter from 70 to 140
Outer perimeter from 40 to 80

My sample print takes 49 minutes and has not changed. Est print time is 12min 47sec's and it has not changed either. I must be missing something. Done the reboot, and check to make sure settings have indeed changed. Prints are not effected. Still look good, just nothing has changed with speed or quality.

John L - November 14th, 2015 at 4:10p.m.

Looks like settings mostly work going down, firmware thing I think. I changed Marlin firmware setting max feedrate which sped it up but motors could not handle it. Think larger layers is the only answer left.

John - November 14th, 2015 at 6:01p.m.

8-bit electronics are ultimately going to be the choke point for printers. You can only plan 16 moves ahead, so you're very limited in acceleration and deceleration.

Larger nozzles and larger layer heights are the best way to decrease print time with 8-bit boards.

The next jump would be achieved moving to a 32-bit electronics board.

Taylor - November 16th, 2015 at 11:17a.m.