LAY-FELT is the newest innovation from the creator of LAYBRICK, LAYWOO-D3, and BendLay. LAY-FELT contains felt like features and is part of the PORO-LAY series of filaments. This material is highly porous. LAY-FELT is part rubber-elastomeric polymer and part PVA. Once you rinse this material in water only the rubber polymer remains as your micro-porous and flexible object.
We are the only U.S. authorized reseller of this experimental new filament! LAY-FELT is part of the new PORO-LAY series which also includes LAY-FOMM 60, LAY-FOMM 40 and GEL-LAY. Try all 4 today and get porous with your 3D printing!
LAY-FELT is an exciting and new innovation from the creator of LAYBRICK and LAYWOO-D3. We are proud to offer the newest experimental filament from inventor Kai Parthy. We are the only U.S. authorized reseller of this experimental new filament! LAY-FELT is best characterized as a felt like filament that is highly porous. This material is made from a rubber-elastomeric polymer and a PVA-component. That means that part of this filament is water soluble. Once you rinse this material in water, the PVA component disappears and the rubber polymer remains as your micro-porous object. LAY-FELT is ideal for making filters, 3D membranes, semipermeable membranes, and any flexible yet felty object. LAY-FELT comes in a .25kg package.
After finishing your print you will notice that the material is strong and rigid. However, rinse the print with water then your object becomes micro-porous & elastic. This is ideal for printing soft and flexible rubber like objects. To get full flexibility from your print you should leave the printed object sitting in tap water for 1-4 days.
The picture below illustrates the fascinating nature of the PORO-LAY series of filaments. The image on the left is PORO-LAY after being printed (strong, sturdy, rigid). The image to the right is that same part after being soaked in warm water (part became elastic, flexible, and rubber like after the rinse).
We recommend printing LAY-FELT between 225°-235°C. However, remember that each printer is slightly different so you may need to increase or decrease the temperature by 5°C until your print looks perfect!
Check out the video below to learn more about the PORO-LAY series!
LAY-FELT is part of the new PORO-LAY series which also includes LAY-FOMM 60 and GEL-LAY. The PORO-LAY series is made by taking two different materials such as an Elastomer (rubberlike substance) and then blending that substance with a soluble component such as PVA. So after rinsing your print in water the PVA component dissolves and the print is then flexible and porous.
Nuggets of Info About the PORO-LAY Series
- POROLAY filaments are dedicated for experimental use. This is bleeding edge filament so start with an open mind!
- All filaments after printing are stiff and unbreakable and printable with standard home-printers (repraps)
- All objects are hot-sealable after drying
- Micro-porous means micrometer-dimensions! Pores are not visible to naked eyes.
- All POROLAY-objects can be filled not only with water, try to use emulsions of oil, glycerine, inks, salty solutions, or ionic liquids to make it conductive!
- you may print without heated bed
- the objects have near zero warp (deformation while printing)
- Design rules: print less walls/shells and less filling % to shorten rinsing time