In this free 3D printing lesson plan from PrintLab and PrintCity, students will learn about the rapid transmission of viruses, such as COVID-19, before being challenged to design unique solutions to limit their spread on surfaces. This course will provide students with the opportunity to join the fight to keep our medical professionals and essential workers safe through creativity!
HOW THE COURSE WORKS
Getting started with PrintLab Classroom couldn't be easier! After registering on The PrintLab Classroom website and activating your license, teachers will immediately have full access to this and all existing lesson materials, downloadable worksheets, and support videos.
Note: New users can purchase PrintLab activation licenses through the following link, licenses will be sent to your email within 2-3 business days of purchase.
For those interested in a free 7-day trial of PrintLab Classroom, please contact a member of the MatterHackers sales team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students will follow a CAD tutorial video in Fusion 360 or Tinkercad to design their own version of Armie.
LESSON PLAN OVERVIEW:
The Pandemic Products lesson plan will equip students with the foundational knowledge and skills they need to successfully produce unique 3D Printed solutions to reduce the spread of infectious viruses. Using a process of research, simulation, design, testing and final product iteration this project will teach students:
- About virus transmission on surfaces via an animation explainer video
- How to assemble and analyze their own hands-free Armie device
- How to use Tinkercad or Fusion 360 to improve the design of Armie to suit door-handles in their home or school.
- How to storyboard their daily routines to identify objects that have the potential to spread viruses, before prioritizing and selecting which handle to design a unique solution for
- How to use research, simulation, and measurements to generate a list of design criteria and constraints
- To create multiple sketch options and gather feedback on their designs from peers or potential users
- To use 3D design and 3D printing in an iterative process to make functional solutions that limit the spread of viruses
The course will instruct students on how to storyboard their daily routines - highlighting objects they touch that have the potential to spread viruses.
REDUCE THE SPREAD OF TRANSMISSIBLE VIRUSES THROUGH DIGITAL FABRICATION
This lesson plan was inspired by Armie, a hands-free device that was created to promote the use of arms of open doors or drawers.
While many manufacturers have turned their focus towards the production of personal protective equipment, PrintCity set out to create a hands-free handle design that can be attached to any existing handle whether it is on a drawer or door. Although the design fits onto a wide variety of handles already, there are many situations in which further modifications are needed – this provides the perfect opportunity for students to get creative with designing their own solution while simultaneously reducing the risk if viruses entering the body through the touching of eyes, nose and mouth.
Armie can be modified to fit a wide range of different cabinet or door handles.
TEACHER RESOURCES INCLUDED WITH THIS LESSON PLAN:
- Example hands-free design solution - Armie (STL and PDF assembly instructions)
- Project introduction and explainer video (MP4)
- Product analysis and storyboard worksheets (PDF)
- TinkerCad and Fusion 360 tutorial videos guiding students through the process of designing Armie (MP4)
- Assessment Rubric (PDF and Google Docs)
COVERED SUBJECT AREAS
This lesson plan can be incorporated into mathematics, design technology, citizenship, and computing course work. The material can be adapted for students ages 8-16 and the curriculum is aligned to ISTE, NGSS, CCSS, and UK National Curriculum standards. A comprehensive list of standards met is included with the lesson platform.
Put simply, MatterHackers is the smart place to shop for all things 3D printing and digital manufacturing. The MatterHackers pros are here to partner with you through every step of your journey turning idea into reality and here are just a few of the perks you’ll receive as a customer:
- Free, Fast Shipping on orders over $35
No matter how large or small your order is, U.S. customers will always receive free, fast shipping on orders over $35. Most orders placed before 4pm ET M-F ship same day.
- Lowest Price Guarantee
We work hard to make sure that we offer the lowest prices available - shop confidently knowing you’re getting the best deals on the items you love. Learn more about our Lowest Price Guarantee here.
- Rewards Program
We just want to help you save - MatterHackers' customers can earn a store credit of 3% back on all eligible purchases. Learn more and become a Rewards Program member here.
- Success Guarantee
MatterHackers is invested in your success. From our free phone and email support to our easy exchange program, MatterHackers sets you up on the road to success even with just one purchase. Learn more here.
Have a question about this MatterHackers PrintLab Classroom - FREE Lesson Plan - Pandemic Products? Looking for a recommendation? No problem. Feel free to contact us.