Modix3D Modix BIG180X V4 3D Printer Kit
The Modix BIG-180X V4 is a large-scale 3D printer designed for professionals and innovators. It has a massive print volume of 1800×600×600mm and comes as a self-assembly kit. Known for its high-quality components, durability, and great price-performance ratio, it also offers upgrade options for customization. The printer uses top components from brands like E3D, Duet, and Hiwin, ensuring reliability and capacity for future upgrades.
- Massive print volume of 1800×600×600mm
- High-quality components
- Heavy-duty design for robust output
- Assembly & Installation Services Available
To learn about available discounts, training, and maintenance options, please use the form below and a MatterHackers Expert will contact you within one business day. Alternatively, you can always feel free to give us a call at +1 (800) 613-4290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To get an instant quote, add everything you need to your cart, and click "Download as quote".
SCALE UP YOUR PRINTER AND PRODUCTION
Transform your manufacturing workflow with the Modix BIG-180X 3D Printer. With a massive print volume of 1800×600×600mm, premium components, and modular construction, this powerhouse digital manufacturing machine is ideal for professionals and passionate innovators who produce for large-than-life projects.
Key Features of the Modix BIG-180X V4 3D Printer Kit:
- Large Print Volume: 1800×600×600mm
- Assembly: Self-Assembly Kit
- Need installation assistance or training? Request a quote for more info.
- High-quality components used for reliability
- Heavy-duty design to withstand robust output
- Upgrades/Add-ons available for full customizable control
- Fantastic price-to-performance ratio
PRINT BIGGER WITH MODIX 3D PRINTER KITS
For experienced FDM printing users, Modix offers large 3D printers with some of the market's largest print volumes. Produce huge models in one complete piece for stronger finished parts and shorter post-processing time.
Incorporating top-quality components from reliable renowned brands like E3D, Duet, and Hiwin, Modix printers are designed for heavy-duty use and modularity, anticipating potential future upgrades to keep up with the continuously evolving 3D printing market.
KNOW YOUR PRINTER FROM THE INSIDE OUT
Modix 3D Printers are sold as self-assembly kits, offering many advantages such as hands-on knowledge of your printer, high-cost savings, and flexibility in machine placement within your production facility. Assembling the printer enhances your ability and confidence to upgrade, maintain, and customize it, ensuring its longevity in your workflow.
Each Modix kit includes physical and online assembly instructions full of detailed step-by-step guides, video demonstrations, and 3D models of sub-assemblies, making the assembly process straightforward and intuitive.
UNPRECEDENTED LEVELS OF MODULARITY AND CHOICE
Modix's design philosophy centers on modularity, providing customers with the freedom to choose filament, slicing software, and printer upgrades. New upgrades and components, like air filters and print head configurations, are regularly evaluated for compatibility.
Depending on the model, upgrades may already be included or can be easily added at purchase, allowing customization to personal budgets and needs. Modix also publishes optional customization guides through their online service portal, supporting any desired upgrades.
EXPEDITED AIR-FREIGHT SHIPPING—AVAILABLE NOW!
Need your printer faster? MatterHackers offers an Expedited Shipping option which ships the kit directly from Modix's overseas warehouse via Air Freight instead of Ocean Freight.
The shipment clears US Customs, arrives at Modix's US-Based warehouse, and then ships directly to the end customer. Customers are not expected to receive any additional Customs, Duties, or Taxes on the Import.
Note: Expedited shipping is an additional charge on top of standard freight shipping fees.
Request this option at time of purchase. We cannot change shipping methods from Ocean Freight once an order has been accepted.
Contact email@example.com or click "Request a Quote" to inquire about this option.
|IDEX = Independent Dual Extruder
Easily print advanced models with internal geometries by having one
printhead extrude the core thermoplastic material and use the other
to extrude water-soluble support filament
|This upgrade is a combination of the following:
The "Standard" option means that the screen will be attached directly
to the printer (no flexible mobility), no frontal power switch, and only
one emergency button.
Magnetic beds make part removal easier.
|Active Air Filter
|An external three-phase filter device that repeatedly cleanses the air
during the printing process through a pre-filter (for dust), then HEPA
(for sub-micron particles), and finally through the active carbon filter
This is a MUST-HAVE upgrade if you intend to print with any plastic
beyond PLA (PETG, ABS, etc.).
|Extend your standard warranty coverage from one year to two.
Reminder: Warranties do not cover degradable (PEI sheet and
nozzles) and consumables.
Want to learn more about these upgrades? See our Features section.
|600 × 600 × 660mm
~23.6" × 23.6" × 26"
|1200 × 600 × 640mm
~47.2" × 23.6" × 25.2"
|600 × 600 × 1200mm
~23.6" × 23.6" × 47.2"
|1010 × 1010 × 1010mm
~39.7" × 39.7" × 39.7"
|1800 × 600 × 600mm
~70.8" × 23.6"× 23.6"
|906 × 1060 × 1356mm
~35.6" × 41.7" × 53.4"
|1556 × 1060 × 1506mm
~61.2" × 41.7" × 59.2"
|906 × 1060 × 1916mm
~35.6" × 41.7" × 75.4"
|1739 × 1424 × 1808mm
~68.4" × 56" × 71.1"
|2630 × 1060 × 1573mm
~85.4" × 41.7" × 62"
|Z Axis Guides
|Tilt screen &
Modix Generation 4 introduces advanced capabilities such as internal geometry printing, faster print speeds, reduced post-processing time, and enhanced reliability. Like previous versions, this new generation was designed with backward compatibility in mind so owners of Modix’s printers enjoy upgrades from time to time in both configurations and hardware. These updates expand the possibilities of the Modix ecosystem, ensuring a cutting-edge experience for users.
All Modix 3D printers in the Generation 4 line share the same core design based on Modix BIG-60 V4.
Some models have varying upgrades that are included instead of optional.
See below what you can expect:
Chassis & Enclosure
Crafted from solid 40x40 T-slot aluminum profiles, the chassis features powder-coated laser-cut aluminum brackets and joints. The 3mm black Aluminum Composite Panel (ACP) enclosure, available for purchase or included on select models, enhances stability and environmental control.
Modix printers are powered by the Duet 2 WiFi 3D printer controller, a reliable and widely supported platform for professional 3D printers. Enjoy a seamless printing experience with the following benefits:
- Powerful 32 Bit Processor
- Dedicated WiFi module with external antenna
- Quiet TMC2660 stepper drivers (up to 256 micro-stepping)
- High-speed uSD card + support for a second external SD card (if required)
- Dual extruders are controlled on the main board, up to 5 additional stepper motor drivers are controlled on the DUEX expansion board.
- High Power rating: Each stepper driver is capable of 2.8A motor current, currently limited in software to 2.4A.
- Access the printer via a PC, tablet or smartphone on a local network.
- Set up and control your printer through the web interface.
FULLY AUTOMATED CALIBRATION
All Modix printer kits are delivered with the electronic expansion board named “Duex 5”. A dedicated stepper motor driver is allocated for each Z and X axis motor. As a result, Modix is now offering a full set of automated calibration routines including:
- Bed tilting calibration
- Bed leveling
- Gantry alignment
- Z offset calibration
- Touch Screen- 7-inch Duet3D touchscreen integrated with the controller
- An emergency stop button is equipped next to the screen on all Generation 4 printers. The stop button resets the Duet controller and stops printing immediately.
- An optional large secondary emergency button can be installed with the Tilt upgrade.
- Web Interface – WiFi web access for remote control from either mobile or PC. Upload print files directly from your workstation
GRIFFIN PRINT HEAD ADVANCEMENTS
Included on all Modix 3D printers is the Griffin Print Head, a collaborative creation comprising a custom Bondtech extruder (based on the BMG model) and a new hotend designed by Modix. Improvements include:
High Flow Rate & High Printing Temperatures: The Bondtech extruder features a double drive-gear system and a nickel-coated copper heat-block for enhanced heat transfer and high-temperature compatibility. It incorporates a Slice Engineering Bi-Metal heat-break and an upgraded PT-1000 temperature sensor, supporting printing up to 500°C.
Increased Reliability: The new design minimizes risk of print-head damage via a three-faced, rigid heat-block mount for higher impact resistence. It also accommodates the longer E3D Super Volcano with a dedicated adapter, enhancing reliability and versatility.
Streamlined User Experience: The redesigned print-head architecture simplifies nozzle replacements, facilitated by the secure, single-handed heat-block detachment. This seamless process ensures effortless transition between various nozzle diameters, amplifying user convenience.
Effortless Switch: The novel mounting bracket design and the D shaft configuration of the Slice Engineering heat-break synergize to enable swift and hassle-free substitution of the entire filament melting subsystem. This innovation empowers users to swiftly transition between dedicated setups tailored for specific filament types—be it abrasive carbon-infused filament or PLA prototypes.
Condensed Design: The enhanced print-head design retains the compactness of its predecessor while preserving generous Z-axis travel capabilities. This thoughtful evolution harmonizes seamlessly with the extensive range of E3D Volcano nozzles, encompassing an array of sizes and materials.
Smart Calibration: The upgraded print-head enables automatic Z offset calibration between the nozzle and the BL Touch probe, streamlining the calibration process. A dedicated sensor ensures accurate calibration and stores the relative distance between the probe and the nozzle.
Note that for temperatures surpassing 300°C, it is essential to replace the brass nozzle with a higher-temperature compatible alternative.
IDEX DUAL PRINTING (Optional)
With Independent Dual Extruder (IDEX) technology, the Modix printer can print models with internal geometries and dense support layers. This add-on improves print quality, reduces post-processing effort, and enhances success rates for complex prints.
IDEX is an optional upgrade for all Generation 4 printers and includes the following:
- Secondary Printing Subsystem: Includes the Griffin print head, clog detector, PTFE, and spool mount.
- Motion System: Incorporates a secondary Y-axis motor along with necessary components such as belts and pulleys.
- Metal Brackets: Equips both the Y-axis and print heads with sturdy metal brackets.
- Wires, Drag Chains, and Optical End-stops: All essential wiring, drag chains, and optical end-stops are thoughtfully included.
AUTOMATIC FILAMENT CHANGER
Modix's IDEX also serves as an automatic filament changer, capable of switching between print heads automatically upon detecting filament run-out when using the same filament type. Benefits of this innovation include:
- Enhanced Efficiency: This IDEX Filament Changer eliminates downtime, allows continuous operation, and saves valuable time by autonomously switching between spools and minimizing the need to constantly monitor and maintain the printer.
- Elevated Print Precision: Not only does this save time but it also enhances print quality. Avoiding frequent enclosure openings to do filament changes maintains chamber temperature. This prevents model shrinkage resulting in fewer defects.
SUPER HIGH FLOW HOTEND
The optional Super Volcano hotend high flow add-on is based on the E3D super volcano heat-block and nozzle and ideal for fast printing of large, bulky objects and stronger, single-walled vase mode style objects. It's delivered with a stabilizing CNC-made mounting bracket, reducing vibrations for high print quality.
- E3D SuperVolcano Heater Block
- 1mm Brass Nozzle
- Slice Engineering Bi-Metal Heat-Break
- 80W Heater
- CNC Adapter
- Blower Fan & Duct
Tilt Screen & Emergency Button & Frontal Power Switch
The Tilt Screen is mounted on an articulated arm for user-friendly convenience. Effortlessly adjust the screen left, right, upward, or downward to ensure optimal visibility and ease of use.
The (secondary) Emergency Reset Button resides on the machine's front panel for swift access. Ensure immediate interruption of print jobs whenever necessary for even more control and safety.
The Frontal Power Switch is an easily accessible power on/off button positioned at the front. This is useful when the printer is situated in confined spaces.
Benefit from precision motion with HIWIN linear guide rails, Z ball screws, reinforced belts, and NEMA motors. Achieve travel speeds up to 350 mm/sec for fast and efficient production.
- HIWIN MGW9H linear guide rails
- Four Z ball screws for Z axis movement. 12mm diameter, 4mm pitch
- 9 mm width Gates GT2 timing belt, reinforced with fiberglass
- Motors: X & Z Axis: NEMA-23, Y Axis: NEMA-17
- Mechanical position accuracy: X-10 Micron, Y-10 Micron, Z-0.5 Micron
- Print speed (based on 0.4mm nozzle):
- Up to 100 mm/sec – normal quality
- Up to 250 mm/sec – draft / non functional infill
- Up to 350 mm/sec – travel
- Larger nozzles normally are required to print slower but provide parts much faster due to a reduced number of layers.
- Support both 110V and 230V
- For electronics: Meanwell 24V 280W Power Supply
- Protections: Short / Over-load / Over-voltage / Over-heating.
- No load power consumption<0.5W
- LED indicator for power on
- Aviation grade switches and connectors
- Heat Bed AC powered heater 1370 Watt
- PID bed heater controller by Autonic
- BIG METER and 180x require 208-240V, 32A connections
- North America customers: NEMA L6 30P 30A outlet
- EU/AU/UK customers: IEC 309 32A Blue (2P+E) outlet
- Tripp Lite PDU for meter and 180x
- North American customers: https://www.tripplite.com/support/PDUH30HV
- EU/AU/UK customers: https://www.tripplite.com/support/PDUH32HV
PRINT BED AND REMOVABLE MAGNETIC BED
Modix 3D printers use a 6.35mm Alcoa Mic6 milled cast aluminum plate made in the U.S. Its 1370W (1200W for 110V users) AC powered bed heater requires a dedicated independent 15A AC source. If you need to print small objects 200×200mm or less in size, utilize the dual heating zones for lower power consumption. All printers achieve a max bed temperature of 110°C (w/ enclosure) and come stock with a PEI film print surface you can apply directly to the bed.
Alternatively, you can purchase the Magnetic Bed upgrade. This optional feature improves user experience and saves time by allowing immediate removal of printed objects instead of waiting for the cool down. It includes an adhesive magnetic sheet that attaches to the aluminum bed plate, a removable dual-sided spring steel plate for textured or glossy bottom layer finishes, and simplifies maintenance by facilitating easy PEI replacement.
Utilize the open-source Duet RepRap firmware and choose from popular slicers for customization. Users can choose from any available slicer and 3D printer controller.
Modix printers are compatible with:
Specific printer configurations are supplied in the customer zone.
All Modix 3D printer now comes with a Clog Detector which comes with a custom highly sensitive encoder capable of detecting for following potential failures:
- Hot-end clogs
- Knots in the filament spools
- Filament run-out
- Under extrusion (i.e. when nozzle temperature is too low, nozzle is too close to the bed, etc.)
When a failure is detected, the printer pauses, and the print job can be saved.
ACTIVE AIR FILTER (RECOMMENDED)
The Modix Active Air Filter (MAAF) is an external device designed to purify the printer's chamber from fumes and particles during 3D printing without affecting print quality. Use the Frontal Speed Selector to keep airflow speed low during printing and bump it up at the end for thorough cleansing afterward. Using a multi-layer filtering system, it maintains a continuous air cleansing process.
Sub-micron particles and fumes from melted plastic can pose health risks so this upgrade is highly recommended when printing with materials beyond PLA or in rooms without proper ventilation.
- Removes micro-particles and fumes
- Utilizes three-filter system
- Pre-Filter (for large particles)
- HEPA Filter (for tiny particles)
- Active Carbon Filter (for fumes)
- Reduces health risks, especially when printing beyond PLA (PETG, ABS, Nylon, etc.)
- Airflow control maintains temperature during printing and thorough cleansing afterward
- Spare filters required every 3 to 12 months, indicated by a front panel alert.
Every Modix 3D printer now includes this additional layer of safety in rare cases where the BL-Touch bed leveling probe fails and this failure is not detected by the printer controller.
The detector will prevent the print head from crashing into the bed plate.
WIDE FILAMENT COMPATIBILITY
Modix 3D printers' print heads support almost any existing filament including:
- Standard Materials: PLA, ABS, PETG, Nylon, flexibles (TPE & TPU), PHA, Co-Polyester
- Composites (Carbon fiber, Glass fiber, Wood, Copper, Brass, Magnetic, etc.)
- Make sure to use abrasive-resistant nozzles when printing composites (separate purchase, see Tech Specs)
- Support (PVA, Hips)
Any filament from any vendor can be used.
8KG SPOOL SHELF
The spool mounting shelf gets a refreshed design inGeneration 4, which now enables mounting 8kg 3D printer filament spools.
|Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) /
Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF)
(W × D × H)
(W × D × H)
|200kg (440.9 lb)
|Closed Print Chamber
|Aluminum composite panels (ACP), 3mm thick.
Polycarbonate doors and top lid
|Articulated leveling feet included, Casters included
|Number of Print Heads
|1 × Griffin Print Head
- Optional Upgrade: IDEX
|Default Filament Diameter
- Can be converted to 3mm by the user
|Extruder Brand & Model
|Modix Griffin Printhead (Based on Bondtech BMG)
|Hotend Brand & Model
|Modix Griffin Printhead
Volcano Brass 0.4mm, 0.6mm, 0.8mm Primary hotend
|Hotend Max. Temperature
Direct drive extruders gear reduction of 1:3
|Filament Runout Sensor
|Dedicated sensor per extruder
|X & Y Axis Linear Guides
|Z Axis Guides
|X & Y Axis Drive System
|Gates GT2 width: 9mm, fiberglass reinforced
|Z Axis Drive System
|SFU1204 Ball screw 2:5 belt gear reduction
|2 × Motech MT-1705HS200A
|1 × Motech MT-1705HS200A
|4 × Motech MT-1705HS200A
|4 × 4 × 0.5 micron
(based on 0.4mm nozzle)
|Up to 100 mm/s – normal quality
Up to 250 mm/s – draft / non-functional infill
Up to 350 mm/s – travel
|Up to 1000 mm/s2
|Alcoa Mic-6, 6.35mm milled cast aluminum plate
|Number of Heaters
|3 × AC heater, 1,350 Watt, Triple zone
|Autonics TCN4 PID controller
|Max. Bed Temperature
|110°C (w/ Enclosure)
|Bed Leveling Probe
|BL Touch Probe
|Bed shape is measured by probing 100 different points.
|Bed Tilt Leveling
|Semi-Automatic, guided by an on-screen macro
|Bed Motion System
|4 × ball-nut screws
Each screw is mounted to a dedicated stepper motor
with a belt gear system
|Duet3D: Duet2 Wifi & Duex5 Expansion board
|7” Touch screen – PanelDue from Duet3D
|Remote Control (WiFi)
|Upload Gcode files right from your desktop
|SD Card, USB cable
|Optional with Duet3D Ethernet board.
Should be purchased and replaced by customer
|Electronics (DC) Power
|Meanwell 24V/280Watt power supply powering the
electronic and motion system.
Universal AC input: 110-230V, 50/60 Hz
|Bed Heaters (AC) Power
Minimal Electricity requirements:
I would like help assembling and installing my Modix - can MatterHackers help?
Yes! We offer assembly, installation, and maintenance services for all Modix printers. You can learn more about that here.
How long will it take to my purchase from MatterHackers to be shipped?
Items purchased from MatterHackers will be shipped from the manufacturer's US-based warehouse. There may be a lead time on orders, depending on stock availability
Can I return a 3D printer kit if it has been opened?
Returns will not be accepted for any opened 3D printer kit. New, unopened 3D printer kits may be returned within 30 days of purchase.
What kind of support does MatterHackers provide for warranty replacement components?
MatterHackers provides support for warranty replacement components. Assembly instruction, troubleshooting, and technical support are provided directly by the Modix Support team.